Matte lipsticks have been the rage the past few years. From reality tv stars to social media influencers, it seems that everyone’s been wearing and selling them. And it’s not hard to see why. Matte finish lippies often have longer staying power than their glossy and cream counterparts. They also lend the wearer a more sophisticated and cleaner look reminiscent of the makeup trends that were popular in the 90s…which seems to be having a come back in fashion right now.
If you’re new to this makeup bandwagon, buying a matte lipstick set is an excellent way for you to test out the product in many different colors. You’ll find a lot of these sets sold online in various price ranges, brands and color combinations.
The 10 Best Matte Lipstick Sets in 2023
To help you choose a matte lipstick set that’ll fit your preferences and skin tone, check out our buying guide and top 10 list below.
No products found.
Have a look closer to more detailed reviews & buying guide below:
10. Lookatool Long-lasting Red Velvet Matte Lipstick Crayon Makeup Set
We recommend absolute makeup beginners to start with crayon type matte lipsticks as they make for easier application on the lips. So you should definitely try out the Lookatool Long-lasting Red Velvet Matte Lipstick Crayon Makeup Set.
For just low cost, you’ll get three shades of red matte lip crayons that’ll surely match various skin tones. Its shades include a warm bold red color, a cool toned red and a dark cool toned deep red shade.
Although not a famous brand, many women have attested about Lookatool’s amazing lip crayon formula which keep lips hydrated and soft. Another thing we like is how smoothly it glides on the lips making for even easier application.
- Affordable price
- Has both warm and cool tone red shades
- Glides smoothly on the lips
- Creamy, non-drying formula
9. Golden Rose Velvet Matte Lipstick Dark Colors Set
Channel your inner vamp with this set of Golden Rose Velvet Matte Lipsticks. Ladies with cool and neutral undertones would surely find this six shades of dark reds, purples, and black a great choice to add in their makeup kits.
These lipsticks come traditional bullet form and offer a creamy velvety matte finish without being too drying on the lips with its Vitamin E-rich formula. These are also the perfect companion for a night out partying as they would surely stay on your lips as you go from bar to bar.
- Six shades of dark matte lipsticks
- Hydrating formula
- Long wearing perfect for overnight wear
8. PrettyDiva Long Lasting Velvet Liquid Lipstick Kit
If you’re looking for a great starter matte lipstick set with wearable nude shades, look no further than the PrettyDiva Long Lasting Velvet Liquid Lipstick Kit. With five shades of brown and pink matte lipsticks, you’d definitely find this set a great addition to your makeup kit. What more, it boasts of a non-drying and nourishing formula which has natural ingredients Vitamin E, beeswax, and vegetable oil.
Working women would also find this set perfect for their lifestyles because it’s long-lasting and waterproof which means that you can confidently go in and out of meetings looking good without having to reapply your lipstick over and over again. It can last on your lips for up to 12 hours straight.
- Wearable nude shades for everyday use
- Non-drying and moisturizing formula
- Waterproof and long-lasting
7. Niceface 4 Colors Waterproof Long Lasting Lipsticks
Kylie Jenner fans looking for an affordable alternative to achieving her signature dark and nudish matte pout would find this set of Niceface Waterproof Long Lasting Lipsticks an amazing find. For just low price, you’ll get four shades of liquid lipsticks in the colors 03 (a medium pink mauve color), 11 ( a deep warm red shade ), 12 (a vampy deep purple red color), and 13(a red similar to 11 but with blue undertones).
These Niceface lipsticks claim to be long-lasting, water resistant and have a velvety matte finish that’ll surely make your lips sexy. Another thing we like about the product is that they set quite fast on the lips so you won’t get to experience that awkward wet phase when applying liquid lipsticks.
- Great deal for the price
- Good dark red shades for a sexy look
- For longwear
- Water-resistant and dries fast
6. NYX Cosmetics Soft Matte Lip Cream Set
If you’re looking for a matte lipstick set with dark, vampy colors for a night look, then you should definitely check out this NYX Cosmetics Soft Matte Lip Cream Set. The set includes three shades of the brand’s cream matte lipsticks in the colors: Monte Carlo (a deep red shade with blue undertones), Copenhagen (another deep red but this time with deep purple undertones) and Transylvania (an almost black shade).
We definitely recommend getting this lipstick set if you’re someone with cool or neutral undertone skin and looking for some dark lipstick shades.We like these NYX matte lipsticks because of their creamy consistency which makes for smooth, non-patchy application on the lips. It’s also got a non-drying formula that won’t dehydrate your lips. The only thing we have qualms about is that it isn’t meant for long wear so you’d have to apply the product again every couple of hours.
- Moisturizing formula
- Easy to apply
- Great dark lip shades for night look
- Need to reapply every few hours
5. KLEANCOLOR MADLY MATTE LIPSTICK SET
This next set of matte lipsticks is probably the cheapest one we could find. Don’t worry though, we checked reviews and can assure you that the product is legit and safe to use. The KleanColor Madly Matte Lipstick Set comes with six shades of bold red, pink and purple shades perfect for makeup beginners looking for a lipstick to start with. The product comes in regular bullet form which is very easy to apply on the lips as compared to liquid lipsticks.
The product may not be long-wearing but hey, six lippies for about six bucks? That’s still a great steal if you ask us!Another thing we and people who’ve bought the product like about it is that it’s very pigmented. One glide and you’ll get full color coverage on your lips. What more, they can give you that powder matte lip look without drying up your lips too much. Trust us, these KleanColor lippies are a great find.
- Pigmented and non-drying formula
- Six bold shades
- Very very affordable
4. Maybelline New York SuperStay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick Lip Kit
This set of Maybelline New York SuperStay Matte Ink Liquid Lipsticks surely lives up to its product name as they would definitely stay on your lips for up to 16 hours. Yes, you read that right. You can go home from a night out with your lip color intact and still fabulous.
The kits come with three bold shades of matte finish liquid lipsticks: Lover ( a pinkish purple, nude shade for a day), Believer (a bold deep violet shade for a night), and Pioneer (an attention-grabbing bluish red shade). We recommend this matte lipstick set for people with cool or neutral undertones because of the aforementioned lip shades.
Many women and beauty vloggers have attested for this Maybelline lipstick’s staying power (surviving a sweaty workout sesh and a run in the rain!), so you better get your hands on this one while supplies last.
- Amazing staying power of up to 16 hours, smudge-free
- Great shade range for cool undertones
- Perfect for gift-giving
3. theBalm Meet Matt(e) Hughes Kit
If you’re looking for a great set of cruelty and paraben-free matte lipsticks, then this theBalm Meet Matt(e) Hughes Kit is worth a try. With six shades of nudish liquid matte lipsticks, this set offers wearable colors which you can comfortably rock for everyday wear in both works and play settings. Another thing we like about these lippies is that they last long on the lips. Just apply them once in the morning, and we can ensure that you’ll have color on your lips at the end of the day even without reapplying the product.
And have mentioned how affordable these are? You’ll be getting six long-wearing liquid lipsticks at your affordable price! However, we just have just have to mention that the liquid tubes are a bit smaller than other liquid lipsticks which means you’re gonna be getting a little bit less product.
- Six wearable nude matte shades
- Cruelty-free and paraben-free
- Slightly smaller lipstick tubes
2. LA GIRL Matte Flat Velvet 26PCS Lipstick
This next matte lipstick set is probably the best deal you can find on a lip product online. Start or expand your makeup collection with this 26 piece set of LA Girl Matte Flat Velvet Lipsticks. With this color range, you’ll definitely find numerous shades that’ll fit your skin tone and personal preferences. Not to mention, it’s also got a few shades of really bold colors for those days when you just want to stand out.
But what we like about this LA Girl product is that it’s not like your regular drying matte lipstick. With added shea butter, these lippies are meant to moisturize your lips and keep them soft while still providing you with that desired matte finish that’s very much on trend right now.
We recommend this matte lipstick set to both beginners who are looking to explore the wonderful world of lipsticks and even professional makeup artists who are looking for an affordable set of matte lipsticks with plenty of colors.
- Best deal for the money
- Really wide range of lip colors to choose from
- Perfect for both beginners and professionals
- Moisturizing matte formula
1. MAC Snow Ball Holiday Kit
Of course, you can never go wrong with some matte MAC lipsticks quality-wise. If you’re looking for a good deal on a set of these lippies, check out the MAC Snow Ball Holiday Kit.
At your affordable cost, you’ll get four full-sized MAC matte lipsticks in the colors: Nude Du Jour (a light mauve color), Nouvelle Vogue (a soft blue pink shade), Russian Red (an intense bluish-red color) and Antique Velvet (an intense brown shade). This set will suit all skin undertones as it has both warm and cool shades to choose from to complete a totally 90s chic look.
They are also perfect as gifts to your mother or girlfriend as the color range can fit almost all age groups. The only downside is the relatively more expensive price. But it’s actually an amazing deal considering that these are all full-sized and original MAC lip products.
- Great deal for the money
- Four wearable colors
- Fits most skin undertones
- Perfect gifts
Matte Lipstick Sets Buying Guide
Makeup newbies may find the world of lipsticks a bit overwhelming. Brands and sellers would bombard you with many marketing terms that’ll make you want to buy their product. So let’s get you acquainted with makeup terms and factors you need to know and consider to find the matte lipstick set that will work best for you.
- Color Range: Matte lipstick sets come with as few as three lipstick shades to many as 20 shades of more. For sure, not all shades would fit your personal preference nor fit your skin tone so choosing a set with lipstick shades you’d actually want to wear. If you’re not yet sure about which lip colors will suit you best, going for colors which look great with your specific skin tone is a great way to start. In general, people fall into three categories: neutral, warm or cool. You can determine what your skin tone is by looking at the veins on your wrist and determining if they appear bluish or greenish. Bluish or purplish looking veins are usually a sign that you have a cool undertone. Meanwhile, if you appear more greenish chances are you have a warm undertone. If you’re having a mix of both then, congratulations, you might have neutral undertones which allow you to pull off just about any lip color.
- Colors for Warm Undertones: If you have warm undertones, your best choices for lip colors are those who have red and orange hues in them. For a daytime color, you can stick with paler, nude shades close to your lips’ natural color and opt for brighter, bolder ones for a night out look.
- Colors for Cool Undertones: Meanwhile, lip colors with blue and purple shades work best for those with cool skin tones. This doesn’t mean that you can’t wear red lipsticks though. You just have to stick with red lipstick shades which have more blue undertones in it to complement your skin tone.
- Lipstick Form: Matte lipsticks come in all forms and consistencies each have their own advantages and disadvantages.
- Creams: Matte lippies in cream form offer the greater chance of staying on your lips for longer periods of time because they have a higher content of wax than other types. They’re also usually packed with nourishing ingredients like aloe and Vitamin E which leaves the lips soft and hydrated.
- Bullet types: For a long time, bullets were the only available form of lipstick. While they may have been dethroned by liquid lipsticks as of late, they still remain popular because of the many benefits they offer. They make for easier application and are usually easier to remove with just water. Unfortunately, bullet lipsticks are not as highly pigmented as liquid types.
- Liquid lipsticks: If you’re looking for a matte lipstick that’ll stay on your lips all day long without losing their bold color, liquid lipsticks are the way to go. Just choose a good brand, and we can assure you that your lip color will survive to eat, drinking and even swimming (most liquid lipsticks are also waterproof). One of our gripes with this lipstick type is that they’re often quite tricky to apply if you’re just a beginner. Another bad thing is that liquid lippies are also pretty drying on the lips. So you better exfoliate and moisturize first before applying these.
- Crayons and Pencils: Matte lipsticks also often come in the form of crayons and pencils which look like oversized Crayolas. They’ve become popular recently because of their easy application and convenient form. They’re also known for being very pigmented.
Did you find the matte lipstick set you’re looking for on our top 10 list? We hope this has been helpful for you makeup enthusiasts and beginners out there who are looking for a great deal on matte lipsticks. Don’t forget to share this article with your friends to spread the info!