Unless you are a professional landscaper, many homeowners find lawn management extremely strenuous. Therefore, most of us tend to hire experts to keep our lawn manicured. Unfortunately, doing so is financially draining, especially if you have a large yard. Luckily, you can eliminate these inconveniences and save money by investing in a zero turn mower. Unlike the traditional mowers, the best zero turn mowers bring you unmatched power, maneuverability, and speed. This makes them a perfect choice for mowing large lawns.
Different from the traditional models, these machines come with intuitive controls and rear wheels that have lap bars. This allows them to pivot for about 180 degrees. By doing so, no circle of uncut grass is left when the mower turns. Another primary advantage of using these mowers is that they cut closely around obstacles. Moreover, they have high ground speeds, allowing you to tackle a large area within a short time. Without much ado, let us look at the best rated cheap zero turn mowers.
List of the Cheap Zero Turn Mowers in 2023
Last update on 2023-03-22 / Affiliate links / Prices / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
10. Ferris F400Z Mower
If you are looking for a heavy-duty yet compact lawn mower that doesn’t take much of your garage space, getting oversized mowers doesn’t make any sense. Luckily, we have options like the Ferris 2018 F400Z that works impressively well for people with smaller lawns. This medium-sized mower has a 48” floating cutting deck, which is an excellent choice for persons with small to medium-sized yards. Despite the compact design, this model is equipped with a powerful Briggs & Stratton commercial engine that has an electric start.
Amazingly, this engine provides speeds of up to 8mph forward and 5mph reverse. As you would expect from any other high end zero turn mowers, this model also comes with an adjustable cutting height from 1.5-4.5”. Also, this model comes with oversized back tires and front pneumatic caster tires to allow for easy maneuver on an uneven surface. Other key features worth noting are the easy to use electric blade engagement and well-padded seat with armrests.
- Large all-terrain wheels
- Sturdy construction for enhanced durability
- Heavy-duty ten gauge cutting deck
- Compact enough to steer in tight spaces
- Since it has a smaller cutting deck, it is not ideal for people with big lawns
9. Troy-Bilt Mustang 54 25HP 54-Inch Zero-Turn Mower
Cut the grass, carry your tools, and haul dirt easily with the Troy-Bilt Mustang mower. Equipped with a high power 25HP engine, this mower offers you with premium performance and lets you mow your lawn incredibly fast. Even better, it pairs the powerful engine with a 54-inch triple-blade discharge deck. This ensures it will cover a large area with a single pass. Therefore, this is an excellent choice for individuals with large lawns or looking forward to starting a small landscaping company.
Another great feature that you are going to love about this model is the adjustable deck size. Luckily, you will have a choice of up to eight cutting positions, making it easy for you to customize the look of your lawn. The mower also has a comfortable high back seat with a dual-suspension spring to ensure a smooth ride. Notably, the mower long-lasting caster wheels allow for easy maneuverability on tall grass and other uneven surfaces.
- Has a powerful a 25 HP engine
- Well-padded seat for enhanced comfort
- Easy maneuverability thanks to the long-lasting caster wheels
- 54-inch high-performance deck
- While this model doesn’t come cheap, it lives to match your expected performance
8. Snapper 2691319 360z Mower
One of the challenges of using a traditional mower has to turn it whenever you want to change the direction constantly. Fortunately, with this mower, you can mow your lawn in forward, reverse or sideways without having to turn it. This makes it an incredible choice, especially when mowing large lawns with many obstacles such as flowerbeds, rocks, and trees. It pairs a high power engine and durable frame to ensure a nonstop performance for an extended period. While this can’t be said with other competing brands, the tubular steel frame ensures a reliable mowing performance, season after season.
Say good-bye to hauling any of your landscaping tools thanks to the integrated rear cargo bed. The rails also allow for the use of the ATV accessories as well as two predetermined cutouts that enables easy insertion of a conventional tailgate that is removable. Equally important, this unit also features a foot-operated mower deck that has 13 adjustable cutting positions. What more, by combining a well-padded seat with oversized wheels, you get to enjoy a smooth ride.
- The integrated rear cargo bed
- The heavy-duty fabricated mowing deck
- Fully welded steel frame
- Foot-operated height-of-cut
- Large size, this could be a problem to people with small garages
7. Husqvarna MZ61 Riding Mower
Keeping your lawn in top condition is crucial. However, when you depend on a landscaping company to do so, it can be quite expensive. The Husqvarna MZ61 is a professional mower designed to m keep your lawn manicured all the time without draining you financially. Having been made by one of the notable brands on the market, you can be sure to mow your lawn efficiently and quickly. It comes with a heavy-duty steel frame, intuitive interface, and a professional hydraulic system to bring an ultimate mowing experience.
With a high power 27HP engine, this mower provides high ground speeds and reliable startups for enhanced practicality. Notably, this model also comes with an 11 gauge steel cutting with an impressive 54” cutting width. Some of the other notable features that come with this model include the oversized wheels, vibration dampeners, as well as options to mulch, bag, or discharge the clippings.
- Comfortable Steering
- Adjustable tracking makes adjustments simple and easy
- Pedal-assisted cutting deck lift
- It equipps with a 27 HP Briggs Endurance engine
- Pricey but worth every penny
6. Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch Lawn Mower
Oversized lawn mowers are not only cumbersome to use for people with small lawns but also expensive. If you are looking for a compact yet inexpensive zero-turn mowers, then you will love having this model. Even it happens to be a bit smaller; this mower is surprisingly robust and durable. It takes minimal space in your garage or shed, so you don’t have to worry about clearing your garage. The mower is powered by a powerful OHV engine that delivers enough torque to manage a medium-sized lawn with a relatively level terrain effectively.
While it doesn’t have the fastest forward speeds, the six-speed transmission system powers through even challenging terrains for increased efficiency. Like the larger models, this mower comes equipped with 18-inch rear wheels and front caster wheels that allow for simple maneuverability. The mower also comes with a five height adjustable deck and a manual power take-off that ensures fast blade engagement. More importantly, this unit comes with a well-padded seat and smooth controls that ensure an enjoyable experience.
- Has a Comfortable, well-padded seat
- Durable, built to last wheels
- The compact design makes it easy to navigate
- Impressive 6-speed transmission
- Some wish that the seat could be higher to support the back fully
5. Ariens 915213 Zero Turn Mower
The Ariens 915213 zero turn mower is designed to bring you absolute efficiency and durability. We love the compact design that doesn’t take much of garage space, making it an ideal zero turn mower for residential use. It is equipped with a 19HP engine and a 42” cutting width to help you tackle your lawn proficiently. To allow for maximum maneuverability, this unit has a dual wheel hydro transmission that enables the driver to control the wheels independently. By doing so, you will conveniently move the mower forward, sideways or backward without having to turn the mower.
Are you tired of having to repair your mower now and then? Well, thanks to the rugged and durable steel frame, this mower offers you reliable performance for years. The controls are also easy to use, so you don’t have to be an expert in using it. We loved the well-padded chair that offers you with a nice place to sit when mowing your lawn. Plus, the large rear wheels and front caster wheels also ensures a smooth ride. For added user expediency, this is one of the few mowers that come with an electric start. Better yet, it has a headlight option, which is great, especially when the night falls before you are done mowing your lawn.
- Heavy-duty all-terrain wheels
- Simple electric start
- A decent cutting width of 42inch
- Have five adjustable cutting lengths
- Not ideal for dealing with large lawns
4. Husqvarna Z254r Hydrostatic Mowers
By combining proven performance, innovative features, and innovative design, mowing your lawn doesn’t have to be a tiresome chore but an enjoyable even. Coming with a 54-inch steel cutting deck and a 26HP engine, mowing a large lawn has never been easier. The heavy-duty construction ensures maintenance-free performance season after season. Another notable feature is the patent-pending park brake system that deactivates or activates automatically when you move the steering levers inward or outwards.
This is not all; this hydrostatic mower also brings you oversized wheels and a well-padded chair to ensure a smooth ride. Besides the increased comfort, the oversized rear wheels and caster wheels allow for easy maneuver on an uneven surface. Additionally, the induction mowing technology delivers a superior cut. Equally important, this is one of the few models that have the option of discharging, bagging, or mulching the clippings.
- Superior park brake system
- Reinforced steel stamped cutting deck
- Powered by a 26 HP Kohler engine
- Maintenance-free transmission
- High price
3. RedMax New RZT48 Riding Mower
If you have a large lawn, then it crucial to ensure that it remains in top condition. While a regular mower might do the trick, it may mean that you have to spend many hours doing so. This is where the RedMax New RZT48 mower comes in. This unit is designed to help you get professional results within a short time. Thanks to the intuitive controls and superior design, this mower lets you maneuver through the trees, flowerbeds, rocks, and other obstacles with ease. This machine should also fall in the light commercial mower category. This means it might also be a great choice for professionals looking to start a small landscaping company.
As you might expect from a mower of this caliber, the RedMax RZT48 mower is crafted using sturdy steel frame to ensure durability? It is also powered by a high torque engine that provides superior performance when dealing with tough grass. Another great feature that we love is the included cargo carrier that lets you haul your tools wherever you go. Additionally, this model comes with an adjustable height cutting deck, a comfortable seat, and large wheels that allow for a smooth ride.
- Large rear wheels and caster wheels for easy maneuver
- Solid construction and a powerful engine
- A sizeable cutting width deck ensures quick mowing
- Comfortable seat and easy to use controls
- Doesn’t have armrests
2. Ariens 915223 IKON-X Mower
Another great option worth considering when looking for heavy-duty zero-turn mowers is the Ariens 915223 IKON-X. It couples a sturdy Kawasaki fabric deck that is made from 10 gauge steel frame for enhanced performance. This makes it extremely strong and resistant to stress. In addition, the sturdy frame ensures reliable service for years to come. For enhanced comfort, this unit comes with a high back seat that is well padded. The padded armrests also reduce user fatigue, especially when mowing a large lawn.
Besides, this model boasts of dial operated cutting height that lets you customize the cutting height to match your needs. Another feature you are going to enjoy having in this model is the industrial style dual arm deck hanging system. With these features, you can be sure to till a large lawn and customize it to meet your preferred settings. Moreover, the fabricated deck is 4.5,” making it ideal in mowing any lawn type.
- Tubular steel frame
- High back padded seat with armrests
- Powerful Kawasaki FR V-Twin Engine
- Decent 52” fabricated deck
- Not available for some states such as California
1. Ariens Zoom 34 V-Twin Mower
The Ariens Zoom 34 mower is another excellent choice for people with a small to medium-sized lawn. It is equipped with a tubular steel frame deck with a 34-inch cutting width. With this size, this model is also a practical choice for lawns with lots of obstacles such as trees, flowerbeds, and rocks. This allows for easy maneuver in-between obstacles. Plus, thanks to the compact size, storing the mower is incredibly easy. Apart from the compact design, this model is surprisingly robust.
It is powered by an innovative Kohlera 19 HP engine that powers through the obstacles incredibly well. We also love the adjustable cutting height that lets you customize the cutting design. Another main selling point that comes with this model is the super-sized wheels that allow for a smooth ride and easy maneuver over rough surfaces. Although the seat doesn’t integrate the armrest, the controls are well padded for increased comfort.
- Compact yet powerful
- Intuitive controls make it easy to use
- Made using super-strong materials to ensure durability
- Oversized wheels allow for easy maneuverability
- None that we could find
Factors to consider when choosing the best Zero Turn Mowers
Don’t be too hasty when it comes to selecting a zero-turn lawnmower. As you can see from the choices, we have, these models do not come cheap, and so it is crucial to make sure that you get a mower that works perfectly.
Below are some of the essential tips that should help you get started.
- Performance: Strength, power, and speeds are probably the best attributes that describe the performance of a lawnmower. While these mowers are designed to bring you better efficiency than the traditional models, some dishonest brands may not deliver what they promise. Despite the size, always ensure that you pick a mower that has a 19+HP engine. Also, check the speed as you would want a mower that gets the work done quickly.
- Efficiency: Funny enough, just because the mower you have picked has the highest power doesn’t always mean that it is the most efficient. There are factors to consider when considering efficiency. First, of course, you will need to look at the engine power. Next, check the cutting width deck. Besides, you also need to consider some crucial factors such as the wheel size, cutting height, and controls.
- Comfort: More important, ensure that the mower is comfortable. A zero-turn mower is very similar to your car. Since you are going to be sitting on the mower for an extended period, you would want it to be in comfort. Always ensure that the seat is well padded and high enough to give your back support. Additionally, you should also look at the controls, the suspension system, and wheel size to ensure a smooth ride.
Well, we have done our best to bring you the top-rated zero turn mowers on the market. However, since everyone has his/her own specific needs, it is essential to do your due diligence when making your pick. While it is doubtful that you will make the wrong choice by picking any of the above models, ensure you have your priorities straight when making your choice. All the best!