Known as one of the essential building blocks of the body, protein carries out substantial nutrients that strengthen the muscles, improve metabolism, support weight loss, restore and build tissue, bolster energy, and stimulate muscle growth. With adequate and balanced protein intake, you can easily manage your fitness goals and take delight in a healthier lifestyle.
But besides meat, almonds, eggs, and other popular sources of protein, how can you elevate and regulate your protein intake? What supplementary nourishment should you try?
In regards to this, Whey Protein Powders have been an in-demand subsidiary source to effectively increase and manage protein diets due to its beneficial effects on health, particularly in weight loss and muscle density and growth. Therefore, whey protein powders have become popular among bodybuilders, athletes, fitness buffs, and health-conscious people.
But if you want to learn more about this protein supplement and where to find the topnotch deals, we’ve come up with an in-depth buying guide and a list of the Top 10 Best Whey Protein Powders in 2023. Check out our best picks!
What is Whey Protein and Its Health Benefits?
Whey is a form of protein that is typically derived from coagulated and filtered milk during cheese production. This byproduct actually does not taste good and is usually disregarded and thrown away. However, further studies and researches prove that this seemingly nonessential element is more than just protein and has fundamental amino acids and nutrients that can provide multiple health benefits such as faster metabolism, stronger muscles, weight loss support, and stronger immune system.
Today, whey protein is being sold as powders with a variety of flavors available to satisfy not only your need for protein but also your palate. Some options, though, keep it all-natural without any flavors or sweeteners. Typically mixed with protein shakes, meals, and healthy smoothies, working on your fitness goals becomes more attainable along with regular exercise and a balanced diet. Remember that whey protein powders are a protein supplement and do not serve as a replacement for your food.
Although ingesting too much whey protein (or like any kind of food) may cause adverse effects such as nausea, stomach pain, or diarrhea, whey protein powders are very safe to consume. Most users haven’t had any difficulties or issues with it. As long as the moderate or recommended dosage is applied, you’re all good. However, if you’re suffering from a health condition or taking medications, it is best to consult your doctor first.
Because whey protein powders don’t actually taste good, some brands incorporate natural appetizing flavors in their powders to make them more enjoyable to consume. Other brands, however, forgo these natural add-ons and keep their whey protein powders unflavored. Either way, you can choose which suits your palate preferences best.
These are the Top 10 Best Whey Protein Powders in 2023
Last update on 2023-03-16 / Affiliate links / Prices / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
10. Natural Force Organic Whey Protein Grass Fed Whey – Undenatured Whey Protein – Raw Organic Whey
This organic Whey Protein Powder from Natural Force ensures great quality and healthy protein supplements. Derived from grass-fed heritage-breed Jersey cows, these protein powders don’t undergo extensive processing but rather deliver clean and all-natural add-on to your protein diet without the artificial and unnecessary additives. With the recommended dosage, this protein powder can help build lean muscles, enhance stamina, and aid weight loss.
Although whey protein powders don’t taste really good, Natural Force makes sure you crave for more with their natural flavors such as Cacao Bean, Vanilla Bean, and Coffee Bean – all are natural flavors that make these grass-fed whey protein powders incredibly appetizing. As per consumer reviews, they found the protein powder light and delicious when blended with smoothies and protein shakes.
- Provides a clean and healthy protein add-on to your diet with its high-quality, organic, and all-natural ingredients
- Formulated with natural flavors for better and more delicious taste
- Feels light on the digestive system
- Easy to mix with smoothies and shakes
- Helps build and enhance muscle growth, supports weight loss, and strengthens stamina
9. Natural Force® Undenatured Organic Whey Protein Powder *UNFLAVORED* Grass Fed Whey from California Farms
If you’re looking for unsweetened and unflavored protein powders, Natural Force offers a vast lineup of healthy and premium quality organic whey protein powders without additives and sweeteners. Denatured, this organic whey protein powder guarantees a pure and healthy supplement to your meals, protein shakes, and smoothies without altering their natural flavors. Free of heavy metals and contaminants, this unflavored protein powder is very safe to consume.
Also sourced from healthy, grass-fed, and free-range cows, this whey protein powder provides essential nourishment to the body regulating protein intake and boosts the immune system. Moreover, this concentrated protein powder also helps lose weight, increases metabolism, and even elevates glutathione that can battle cancer.
- Denatured and organic – uses all natural ingredients that ensure a healthy and high-quality food supplement
- Unflavored and unsweetened; retains the natural flavors of your food
- Sourced from healthy, grass-fed, free-range cows
- Regulates protein intake and boosts the immune system
- Helps lose weight and increases metabolism
- Naturally increases glutathione that can fight cancer
8. NorCal Organic Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder, Unflavored
NorCal organic whey protein powder carries out multiple health benefits that can help you achieve your fitness goals, regulate protein intake, support weight loss, improve your stamina for sport and training activities, promote lean muscles, and enhance general nutrition. Certified by the American Humane Association, NorCal provides all-natural and premium quality ingredients derived from grass-fed healthy cows. Also labeled as NON-GMO, it delivers only the purest form of whey proteins without chemicals, artificial additives, and preservatives.
As it is unflavored, you can mix this whey protein powder with your shakes, smoothies, and meals without affecting their natural flavors. No sweeteners and artificial flavors. On another note, this powder has a tendency to plump up if not mixed properly. Therefore, when you’re mixing it with shakes or smoothies, make sure to add it last or blend it at a low speed.
- Organic; derived from grass-fed, healthy, and humanely-treated cows
- Helps you achieve fitness goals, regulate protein intake and promote lean muscles
- Improves stamina and overall well-being
- NON-GMO; uses all-natural ingredients that guarantee a safe and healthy consumption
- Unflavored; no artificial flavors and sweeteners
- Certified by the American Humane Association
7. Raw Grass Fed Whey 5LB – Happy Healthy Cows, COLD PROCESSED Undenatured 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein
Without extensive processing in acid or bleach, whey protein powders maintain their purest and all-natural form, making them completely safe and effective, and that’s what Raw Organic Whey guarantees. Sourced from sustainable farms and intricately processed at low temperatures, this raw grass-fed whey protein powder carries out substantial nutrients that can help you maintain a healthy protein diet. And to keep it naturally delicious, this manufacturer refrains from using artificial flavors, sweeteners, and preservatives.
Besides the great quality ingredients, this protein supplement is gluten-free, soy-free, hormone-free, and heavy metal-free, ensuring a safe and healthy add-on to your diet. Just make sure to mix it well, preferably with a blender, to keep it from getting clumpy.
- Sourced from grass-fed and healthy cows from small farms; supplies concentrated whey protein that provides essential nutrients and amino acids
- Has no artificial sweeteners, additives, and preservatives
- Free of soy, gluten, hormone, and heavy metals; ensures high quality ingredients and safe protein supplement
- Processed at relatively low temperatures to keep the purest form of whey protein
- Unflavored; does not affect the flavor of your baked goods and drinks
- Blends well with your favorite beverages
6. Bodylogix Natural Grass-Fed Whey Protein Powder, NSF Certified
If you’re trying to enhance your muscles’ growth and density, boost your day with more energy and power, or simply want to maintain a healthy protein diet in your meals, Bodylogix whey protein powder is another reliable protein supplement. Tested by trusted third party independent labs, Bodylogix ensures the safety and great quality content that can help sustain your protein diet and improve general nutrition.
This whey protein powder is NON-GMO; it uses only pure and natural ingredients to supply the body with fundamental nutrients that improve metabolism and helps develop and build muscles. This gluten-free protein supplement is derived from grass-fed cows and has no artificial additives, sweeteners, and preservatives. Plus, it’s affordable!
- Non-GMO and gluten-free
- Helps develop and build muscles
- Sourced from grass-fed cows
- Has no artificial additives, preservatives, and sweeteners
- Flavored with organic Vanilla Bean
- Tested by trusted independent third-party labs that ensures safety and high quality ingredients
- Blends well with soft meals, baked goods, shakes, and smoothies
5. NAKED WHEY 5LB 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder
The label says 100% premium grass-fed whey protein, and Naked Nutrition is true to what it advertises: it has zero additives, preservatives, artificial flavors, and sweeteners. This all-natural whey protein supplement is sourced from grass-fed cows in small dairy farms in California, which is an essential contributing factor to providing the purest form of whey protein; it carries out substantial nutrients, amino acids, and glutathione.
As it undergoes cold processing, it keeps the beneficial content without contaminating the whey with chemicals or any synthetic ingredients. Loaded with all these essential nutrients, Naked Nutrition can aid weight loss, elevate protein intake, build and strengthen the muscles, and fuel your body with energy and strength.
- Non-GMO; sourced from grass-fed cows in small dairy farms
- Helps build and strengthen muscles, elevate protein intake, boosts your stamina; helps achieve your fitness goals
- Has no artificial additives, flavors and preservatives and no fillers
- Whey protein concentrate; supplies purest form or whey that provides essential nutrients, glutathione, and amino acids
- Can be mixed well with smoothies, protein shakes, and soft meals
- Testes by trusted independent third-party labs for authenticity and safety
4. Performance Whey Protein Powder Concentrate – PROMIX Standard 100 Percent All Natural Grass Fed & Undenatured
Promix is a concentrated whey protein powder that undergoes a natural and advanced cold process that does not strip off the occurring essential nutrients and amino acids whey protein delivers. With such a process, this grass-fed and non-denatured whey protein powder allow you to benefit from its bioactive ingredients like glutathione, omega 3, lactoferrin, L-carnitine, and CLAs, and immunoglobulins.
To satisfy your palate and make it more enjoyable to consume, Promix incorporated their protein powder with chocolate flavor. So if you fancy flavorful and rich chocolatey taste, this protein powder would complement your protein shakes and smoothies. While you savor the delish taste, Promix protein powder works to enhance your muscle growth, promote muscle density, and stabilize your protein intake.
- Concentrated Whey Protein which retains its essential nutrients and amino acids
- Promotes muscle growth and density
- Stabilizes protein intake
- Comes with chocolate flavor for a more delicious taste
- Cold-pressed and non-denatured
- Derived from grass-fed and healthy cows from family farms in California
3. Grass Fed Whey Protein | 5lb + Unflavored Grass Fed Whey | 100% Natural Whey w/No Sweeteners or Added Sugars
Sourced from grass-fed cows in premium US dairy farms, this whey protein concentrate renders an all-natural content that delivers only the purest form of whey protein. Hormone-free, gluten-free, and Non-GMO, this protein powder make sure you get the most of its occurring nutrients without artificial flavors, additives, sweeteners, and preservatives; it is healthy and safe to consume.
As it is unflavored, Pure Label Nutrition allows you to mix and play with your favorite beverages or even meals without any bitterness or aftertaste. But if you prefer a dash of sweetness, you can also get it in chocolate flavor. Many consumers love this healthy protein food supplement due to its beneficial effects on health, particularly muscle growth and density.
- Gluten-free, hormone-free, and Non-GMO
- Derived from grass-fed cows in premium US dairy farms; supplies high quality and natural ingredients
- Has no artificial additives, sweeteners, and sweeteners
- Has no aftertaste or bitterness; can be mixed with beverages, baking goods, and soft meals
- Promotes muscle growth and density
2. Levels 5LB Pure Chocolate 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein, Undenatured, No GMOs
Many users described it as the best whey protein powder they have ever tried, while others said it’s the best tasting protein supplement. Such feedback defines how beneficial this whey protein powder is from Levels Nutrition. It is organic, and its natural, healthy, and safe formula comes from pasture-raised grass-fed cows that supply concentrated proteins, therefore, provides essential nutrients and vitamins.
This non-denatured and Non-GMO whey protein powder has no artificial additives and preservatives. Its pure chocolate flavor is derived from cacao that is cold pressed and hence, leaves a rich, delicious, and natural chocolate flavor. Overall, this delish and healthy protein supplement bolsters general well-being, helps build lean muscle, and assists you with your fitness goals.
- Sourced from pasture-raised grass-fed cows; organic and cold processed which does not break or strip off the natural occurring beneficial ingredients
- Non-GMO and Undenatured; safe to consume
- No artificial additives, sweeteners, preservatives, and flavors
- Flavored with natural chocolate flavor from a cold pressed cacao
- Helps develop lean muscles and strengthen the stamina
- Improves general well-being and works as a perfect fitness partner
- Blends well with smoothies, protein shakes and other beverages; can also be used with pancake mixtures or baking goods
1. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder, Double Rich Chocolate
With thousands of reviews posted, this Gold Standard whey protein powder from Optimum Nutrition definitely takes the spotlight as the best-selling protein supplements on the market, not to mention the consumers who purchased the product offline. Apparently, this whey protein powder delivers beneficial effects to your health, especially when you incorporate it into your diet and consume it before or after exercise. Giving your coffee or favorite beverage a few scoops of this protein powder, it jumpstarts your day with more energy and strength.
The essential nutrients come from the whey protein isolates combined with concentrated whey protein. It primarily works to strengthen the muscles and enhance muscle growth and density. Enriched with chocolate flavor, you get to enjoy your protein shakes and smoothies with a delicious and rich taste.
Take note that this protein supplement is intended for adults 18 years old and above only.
- Strengthens muscles and helps build lean muscles
- Jumpstarts your day with more energy and strength
- Comes from whey protein isolates and concentrated whey protein that delivers essential nutrients and amino acids
- Flavored with chocolate for better taste
- Improves the results of regular exercise
- Can be mixed with your favorite beverages, baking goods and desserts
How to Choose the Best Whey Protein Powder
As whey protein powders promote a better and healthier well-being, it continues to fill out almost every health and fitness stores. But here’s the next challenge: how should you choose the best whey protein powder for your diet and preference? What whey protein product should you go for?
- BRAND REPUTATION: Incorporating a new food supplement in your diet can be a bit risky. That’s why it’s better to try out new health and fitness products when you know what brand you’re settling for. Considering the brand reputation is a prerequisite prior to your first purchase. Sifting through the merits, the health benefits, the target market, and the feedbacks from the consumers can give you a much clearer view of the food supplement you’re investing in.
- CHECK THE CONSUMER REVIEWS: Unless you delve into what the consumers say about the product, it might be a little difficult to determine whether the food supplement is effective or not. If you’re trying it out for the first time, the reviews may serve as a basis when you’re making decisions about your purchase, particularly when there are consumers who may have similar fitness goals or health condition. But do know that the results may still vary and what works for the others may not always work on you.
- CHECK THE INGREDIENTS: Stabilizing your protein intake, strengthening and building muscles, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle are probably the major reasons why you’re adding a protein supplement on your diet. Therefore, it is inevitably reasonable to check the ingredients first to make sure it’s safe to consume and derived from high-quality sources.
It’s better to stick with whey protein powders that are made from all-natural ingredients, organic, gluten-free, NON-GMO (genetically modified organisms), soy-free, and sourced from grass-fed free-range healthy cows. Don’t go for protein powders that are formulated with artificial additives, preservatives, or sweeteners as they aren’t really healthy and safe to consume.
Through consuming adequate whey protein powders, maintaining a healthy protein diet has become more achievable. Besides regular exercise and eating high-protein foods, this protein supplement nourishes the body with substantial nutrients and vitamins essential in building lean muscles, strengthening the immune system, and improving overall health.
There are tons of choices of whey protein powder brands on the market, and it can be pretty overwhelming if you’re trying it out for the first time. Therefore, mentioned above is a list of the highly-recommended and highest-rates whey protein powders available on the market. We’ve sorted them out and compiled the Top 10 Best Whey Protein Powders in 2023, along with the comprehensive buying guide that will help you find the best purchase.